Please understand the spirit of this post...how kids see (or hear) things...
It is in NO way to disparage what families dealing with cancer are going through. When I had this conversation with my kids today, I laughed so hard that I might have snorted (trying to hide my laughter from them) and then I told my mom on the phone this afternoon and I think she might have laughed that hard too!
For some reason, Chloe LOVES watching the St. Jude Children's Hospital informercial. It really IS interesting and we have had lots of opportunity to talk about kids that are sick and how blessed we are and how you can give to help support research and MANY other things.
Today, Ian walked upstairs in the middle of a story and asked what kind of cancer the child had. Chloe said, "I think she has hair cancer, because she lost all her hair." Trying not to giggle, I explained that it was chemotherapy that causes people to lose their hair, not cancer. OHhhhhh....was her answer.
Ian goes on to say, "Oh, that's what Dad had when he cut his thumb." UMmmmm...NO...that was physical therapy.
Needless to say, we talked about all of the stuff that goes along with cancer and chemo and hair loss and such. I love how soft her heart is when she watches the kids. I am amazed by the stories of these kids and their families, and I think that just watching teaches my kids a little more about empathy. We have not been there or done that, but we can still understand that when kids hurt, families hurt, and we pray for them.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home